This project is read-only.


Special Characters in source files being mutilated


This happens with either 1.3 or 1.4 CC.NET and the 1.4 release (TFS 2008) version of the plug-in. In our resource files the copyright characters and a few other special characters are being transposed to gibberish if the source is pulled down through the PlugIn. If I use Visual Studio it actully gets pulled down correctly and in tact, so it has to be something in the plugin. By the way we have Visual Studio 2008, but our TFS server is still 2005 in case this is part of it.
Closed Aug 11, 2008 at 8:00 PM by martin
Error was with actual source files being managed, not the plug-in.


martin wrote Aug 4, 2008 at 2:31 PM

Wow. Really don't understand what might be doing this. The plug-in is calling the same .NET API that Visual Studio calls to do the file download etc. Would it be possible to replicate this problem with a couple of files (one in Visual Studio and one with the same file pulled down from the plug-in) and then attach them to this work item. I'll then do a byte-by-byte diff of the files to see what is different between them. Sounds to me like it might be a file encoding issue or something - very strange.

If you can let me know which locale you are running the plug-in in as well that may help.

Thanks for reporting this.


SirCodeAlot wrote Aug 11, 2008 at 3:45 PM

So I went to set up a demo file with all the characters so I could send you the two files for comparison. However, this file did not get jacked. So I started investigating the differences in the file I created, and the ones that were already in source and getting mutilated. What I found is, the ones getting mutilated were encoded in UTF-8, now Visual Studio would display them correctly and synch them correctly. But if I took those same files that had been synched "correctly" through the GUI (The ones where you would actually see the copyright symbol in VSTS) and looked at those files in Word they would be changed in the exact same manner as they had been coming through the plugin. So in short I do not think this is a plugin issue, I think it is our issue with the way we were encoding our RC files, but that fact had been hidden by VSTS and notepad knowing how to display something, even if it probably shouldn't have been displayed. Sorry for bothering you and thanks for your time..And a great plugin ;)

martin wrote Aug 11, 2008 at 8:00 PM

Cool - thanks very much for letting me know!

wrote Aug 11, 2008 at 8:00 PM

wrote Feb 14, 2013 at 3:47 AM

wrote May 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM