Plug-in and Labeling Question

Jun 19, 2007 at 2:50 PM
So my boss made it clear that he wants the build to label TFS for each build...before the source is pulled...

My question is does the VSTSPlugin support labeling in TFS? And if so, does it apply the label before it gets the source from the repository or after the build completes successfully? Currently, our build takes 30 minutes to complete and my boss wants me to apply the label before the source is pulled from TFS. The reason is that in the 30 minutes that it takes to do the build, developers can be checking in changes. Those changes would then get added to the label if its applied after a successful build.

Any info would help me out a lot...
Jun 22, 2007 at 4:09 AM
Does anyone have experience with labeling with this plugin?
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2007 at 5:28 PM
Apologies for the delay, I've been on vacation.

The ApplyLabel flag definitely used to work as you want it to, but I'd need to check to make sure it is still working correctly - it isn't a feature I use every day anymore.

There is a loop in the code where it takes changesets from TFS that are returned and converts them into CruiseControl Modification objects. At this point it records the latest changeset id in the list of returned modifications.

During the labelling process, the label is created after the build has successfully completed, but it is created from the last changeset that represents the state of the build at the time the modifications were detected - i.e. the state of the repository at the state of the build process. That is to say, the labels should represent the exact state of the repository as taken at the time of the build. Does that make sense?

At least that is how the code is written, however I would appreciate your confirmation if this proves to be the case or not.